POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Huh? Normal averaging bug? : Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?)
From: Ian J  Burgmyer
Date: 4 Mar 2003 00:29:00
Message: <3e64399c@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle's furious key-hammering produced this:
>> Xplo, you did not post a minimal scene...
>
> Fine. By the strictest technical definition, it was not a minimal scene.
>
> So what? Why should I care? Why should *you* care? The code had one and
> only one purpose: to be pasted into POV-Ray and rendered so that the
> resulting image can be observed. It fulfills this purpose, therefore
> there's nothing wrong with it.

Making things difficult for others is not a good way of getting help.  Other
people have renderings of their own to do, y'know. :)

>> Warp made a simple suggestion...
>
> He did?
>
> "Argh! And why all the unneeded whitespace bloating the code?"
>
> Could you please point out which part was the suggestion? All I see is
> pointless bitching and criticism.

While I think Warp was a little out of line in his wording, you were much worse
overall.  There is absolutely *no* reason to insult people like you did to Warp
and to use the kind of language that you did a few posts back.  Don't be so
ignorant -- did it even occur to you that some people get offended by such
language?  Didn't think so.

>> and you
>> responded with "Bite me, Warp.", which was entirely unexpected and
>> unjustified.
>
> I beg to differ with your analysis, sir. It was his criticism that was
> entirely unexpected and unjustified. My response was perfectly natural.

No, some of your responses were way out of line.  If you would have read the
acceptable use policy you would have known that.

http://tag.povray.org/aup.html -- exerpt quoted from item 3:

"Users of this news server may not post messages that could reasonably be
expected, by today's standards, to cause another reasonable person to not want
to use or visit this server due to a feeling of harassment. Personal attacks,
that lead to insulting or abusive behavior, are not an acceptable activity on
this news server. Likewise the use of profanity is also considered
unacceptable."

> I'm sorry to see that you're taking his side here. I would have expected
> more from the "helpful POV community" than this.. especially given that
> the question of whether this is a bug in POV-Ray apparently remains
> unresolved.

Well, maybe if you would treat established members of this community a little
better you would get an answer, m'kay?

Also, since you seemed to completely *ignore* the fact that Chris set follow-ups
to povray.off-topic (since this discussion does not relate to POV-Ray at all
anymore) I'll set it again.  Please abide by it this time!

--
/*^*/light_source{100*<-5,2,-5>2}#macro I(i,n)#while(strlen(i)>=n)#local A=asc(
substr(i,n,1));#local a=asc(substr(i,n+1,1));cylinder{<div(A,8)-12,mod(A,8)-4,4
/*<*/)I("mkmtlttk"1)//@_$#!,:<"Thhis polysig brought to you by Ian Burgmyer :)"