POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Huh? Normal averaging bug? : Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 3 Mar 2003 13:56:19
Message: <3e63a553@news.povray.org>
Massimo Valentini wrote:

> What does the fine manual say about normal_map? (6.7.2.2)

Nothing that would explain this phenomenon.

> BTW I think Warp is correct, if you want that someone opens a debugger
> and starts a debug session in search of a possible uninitialized variable,
> or an overflow/underflow, a typo... whatever it is.

He'd be correct, *if* that was what I wanted (although my scene was so
small and simple that he has no right to complain, anyway. It'd be like
debugging "hello world"). I provided the code so that people could
render it and see the averaging bug I was talking about, as well as
being able to verify that I'm not doing anything stupid (such as
applying the normal to a bumpy isosurface), not so it could be analyzed
for hidden flaws. The flaw is in the software, not the scene.

-Xplo