POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Huh? Normal averaging bug? : Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?)
From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 3 Mar 2003 10:36:31
Message: <3e63767f$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   Compare it to this: Someone asks a question with a really bad
> English grammar. Someone corrects his grammar errors and says
> that if he uses proper English it's more likely that people will
> understand him and give a proper answer. Now, two things
> may follow:
>   1. The original poster thanks this person and learns
>   something useful.
>   2. The original poster tells this person to fuck off and mind
>   his own business.

It took me ages before my US colleagues understood that when I ask to
correct me when I make spelling or pronunciation mistakes I really mean it.
They simply could not believe it, because that is generally considered an
insult.

So when "someone corrects his grammar", and that was not asked for, good
deal of people would argue that he insults the one who has asked a question.
Too bad you are not aware of that fact.

Now let's have a look at what, and how, you "corrected"... This time you,
again, ran straight into the area of personal preferences (just as you did
when we were discussing C++ type casts), and yet you use sentences like
"unneeded whitespace bloating the code", which clearly implies that your
"opponent" did something wrong. Consider these three *facts* (I stress,
facts):

1) If Xplo's code would have a bit *more* spaces (specifically, at the
beginnings of the lines w/o braces), his code would be much closer to
so-called "fully bracketed syntax" than yours.

2) The "fully bracketed syntax" is what POV-Ray sources follow, mostly.

3) There are approximately as many proponents of that syntax as opponents.
I, personally, like it very much. But I also know those who say that POV-Ray
is written by lamers (and this is based solely on the syntax rules it more
or less follow).

Did you get the idea?

By the way, I'm now ranting, I am speaking as a mentor, and I do realize
that. But I do so for a purpose... I would like to ask you, Warp et al.: how
does it feel when someone talks to you like that?