POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= : Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:28:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve=
From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 2 Mar 2003 18:50:39
Message: <3e6298cf$1@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> And apart from that, the request to force POV-Ray to always remain
> hidden (the original in this thread) can be used to violate the license.
> Obviously official versions do not come with built-in means to violate
> the license, that would be kind of stupid, don't you think?

I see. Makes sense. But let me offer a bit of clarification. If you program
in C, then under Windows standard means of running other applications are
WinExec() and system(), the latter also being ANSI... Neither of these
functions provides for a 'quiet start': if your application is a console
one, then the console window will pop up inevitably, even if your
application does not print anything to console.

If you want a 'quiet statr', then you have to use CreateProcess(). It is a
relatively advanced technique, involving handles manipulations, treating
some handles as events and performing 'wait' on them etc. (not included in
my snippet). All in all, to use CreateProcess() properly is a more
complicated (in terms of skill) task than to strip down the windowed version
of POV-Ray to make it into the console one -- IMHO. Hope that you got the
idea.