POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Huh? Normal averaging bug? : Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?)
From: Warp
Date: 2 Mar 2003 12:27:26
Message: <3e623efe@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote:
> I'm sorry. Leaving out the top line in a block of text when making a
> selection must require more dexterity than I would have imagined.

  Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about. You are cluttering your
scene with obsolete, unneeded definitions and assuming that the people
who want to look at your code will see the trouble to remove them because
you didn't want to do it yourself.

> And as we all know, whitespace exists to make code harder to read.

  When they clutter the scene, making secondary features of it to stand
out more than necessary, then yes, they make it harder to read.
  Did you even read what I said? The idea is that you should make the scene
minimal and help people concentrating on the *relevant* part of the code.
Making secondary, non-relevant parts of the code to exceedingly stand out
by making them to take lots of space does not help this task.

> The hell it isn't. My code's not unreadable.

  Where did I say that your code is unreadable?
  I said that you should *edit* your code before posting it. You should edit
it in such way that people don't need to edit it themselves if they want to
look at it. You should edit it in such way that the relevant part of the
code stands out and irrelevant secondary definitions don't.

> I guess copy and paste is too hard for you, Warp. I can only hope that
> someone who can demonstrate that they've mastered these most basic of
> text operations is willing to help explain this seeming bug.

> Good lord, man. I just wanted an answer, not a fucking editorial about
> how incredibly petty and lazy you can be. Next time I find some
> anomalous behavior in POV-Ray I'll just keep it to myself.

  Why do you keep talking about copying and pasting?

  And you are still showing the wrong attitude: You are expecting others
to edit your code and to interpret which parts are relevant and which aren't.
  That was exactly my point: You should see the trouble yourself, not
expect others to do it for you. It's not as bad as it could be (like those
who post a code thoushands of lines long and expect people to find one
buggy line in it), but IMHO you still showed an attitude which is not the
best possible.
  If you want answers, the correct attitude is not "here's some code I
quickly put together with a patched version and if you don't understand it
or can't edit it to work, then just fuck off".

  I did not criticize your coding style. I did not criticize your indentation
scheme. I did not criticize your choise of patched POV-Ray. I did not claim
that your example is not readable. So please stop claiming I did.
  I simply said that it's polite to see the trouble *yourself* in making
the scene as easy to use as possible, not expecting other people to do it
for you.