POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Huh? Normal averaging bug? : Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test scene (was Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 2 Mar 2003 12:22:05
Message: <3e623dbd@news.povray.org>
Kari Kivisalo wrote:
> The method of calculating the normal vector from the scalar
> field may not be precise. Averaging these vectors would leave
> a small residue or error. This is purely a guess based on the
> existence of accuracy keyword for normals.

Thank you, Kari.

I'm not sure I'd call the results of the averaging a "small residue",
though. There are some fairly deep bumps and pockmarks; it looks a
little like the surface of a wooden baseball bat that's been used to hit
rocks and pieces of metal junk.. like the dents normal, but messier.

I'll post a pic in p.b.i., since the usually-reasonable Warp seems to
think that my code is a nightmare. 9_9

-Xplo