POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= : Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:47:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve=
From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 1 Mar 2003 20:06:59
Message: <3e615933$1@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> If you need more control, rather than wasting time creating a custom
> Windows command-line version each time an official Windows version
> is released, maybe you should just decide to write a GUI extension that
> does pretty much the same without the need for having a custom version?

Thorsten, I wish I could do so. But the thing is that my custom version of
POV-Ray is (repeatedly) run from within my other application running in
DirectX hi-color full-screen mode, and has to be run absolutely quietly,
without gaining focus, switching screen mode, drawing anything on screen
etc. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to do so under Windows is to
make POV-Ray a console application, and launch it with so-called detached
console. The exact code that runs POV-Ray from within my other application
looks like this:

  if( CreateProcess(
    NULL,             // no module name: use cmdline (it will search PATH)
    pov_cmdline,      // command line
    NULL,             // no process security attributes
    NULL,             // no thread security attributes
    TRUE,             // inherit handles
    DETACHED_PROCESS, // creation flags: no console (won't be visible
anyway)
    NULL,             // inherit environment
    NULL,             // start in current folder
    & pov_startup,    // pass startup info
    & pov_pinfo ))    // get created handles and IDs

The above is the unmodified code snippet. Please note the DETACHED_PROCESS
flag.

> But hey, seems like complaining is soooo much easier :-(

Thorsten... ooh... how can I explain this? I sincerely appreciate your, and
others', efforts as to the continued development of POV-Ray. I wish I were
in position to do that much. And I in no way complain about the development
of POV-Ray.

And I did *not* ask for Win32 console version, myself. Pls re-read my
message. The only thing I ask for: please do not take every suggestion
and/or disagreement as a sign of ignorance and/or attack aimed at you, and
try to treat that more lightly... Pretty please.