POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Somebody kills me please... (PC died today) : Re: Somebody kills me please... (PC died today) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somebody kills me please... (PC died today)
From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 1 Mar 2003 18:33:03
Message: <3e61432f@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> All thats left:
> ========
 <>
> To be recovered from IRTC: "Worldbowl" (2002), "Iced Land",
> "2 Lonely"
>
> Include-Files:
> IO-Macros, Mesh-Modifying-Macros, Bezier-Splines -
>  These are on my homepage.
>
> Aside of that, everything is lost, all codes, all scenes, all gone.

There is a Russian saying that roughly translates as
  "What you gave is yours,
   What you kept is lost."

How true in this particular case.

Tim, I definitely feel your pain; hope that you are able to recover more
than that... There were given some perfectly sane advices, notably the one
from William Pokorny; you may want to follow that...

As to the backups, I would like to recommend various USB-enabled gadgets
available these days, like flash drives and HDDs (Win2000 and XP recognize
them instantly; WinME reportedly does so as well). Apart from floppy disks,
I used to make backups to Colorado tape drives, LS120 3.5" disks etc. and
have to say that, compared to everything else, those USB thingies are just
killers. About half a year ago I bought a 120Mb flash drive, just to give it
a try, and it surpassed all my expectations as to its reliability,
compatibility, and speed. Of course, 120Mb are drastically insufficient for
backups per se, so I use it not for backups themselves, but for information
transfers between 2 desktops and a laptop (which thus serve as a RAID :-)...
But now that USB link proved itself, I am going to buy a 6Gb or so
USB-enabled HDD, which will serve as the actual backup medium this time.
IMHO, a thing to consider for backup adepts (as yours truly).

Sorry for being off-topic *and* wordy. Follow-ups set to p.o-t.