POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is there a "string length" function? : Re: Is there a "string length" function? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:30:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a "string length" function?
From: hughes, b
Date: 24 Feb 2003 06:35:52
Message: <3e5a0398@news.povray.org>
I didn't follow this thread because I thought it was a simple answer when it
started out and then it seemed to go a few different directions. Seems a
shared sentiment after looking at some other messages.

Like was pointed out, the "manual" is of the electronic form. I don't
understand why the Index and Search was ever overlooked. If I type the word
strlen into either of those I find all I'd need to know. I'm an avid Index
user and it almost always shows me something I'm trying to find out about
(after double-clicking an item from the list).

However, I can't say that the documentation is perfect. Only that it changes
with time and usually for the better. I liked Joseph Zeglinski's idea of a
printable document which would have an index to page numbers. Something
which would be best done by some sort of document creation program. I
especially liked the Monty Python's Flying Circus remark.
:-)

Most important thing seems to be that all this stimulated a potentially
productive discussion about document layout and keyword types. I was hoping
someone would have carried this over into the appropriate group, namely
p.d.i.. Might be too late for that.

Bob