POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light inside diff, atmospheric scatter, no scatter? : Re: Light inside diff, atmospheric scatter, no scatter? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light inside diff, atmospheric scatter, no scatter?
From: hughes, b
Date: 23 Feb 2003 07:15:14
Message: <3e58bb52@news.povray.org>
"Micha Riser" <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message

> POV global media does not work if the rays go into infinity. You either
have
> to use a media container or put a object into the scene where all rays
hit,
> like e.g.
>  sphere{0,100 hollow}

And like Micha has said, the samples really matter too. I was checking on
this also and then added Micha's condensed version of that object.

#declare SphereShell = intersection{
        sphere { <0,0,0>,1 }
        box { <-.1,-2,-2>,<.1, 2, 2> rotate z*90 inverse}
        box { <-.1,-2,-2>,<.1, 2, 2> inverse}
        sphere { <0,0,0>,0.95 inverse}
        pigment {rgb 0}
}

SphereShell

// container to prevent infinite media dropout
sphere {0,20
pigment {rgbt 1}
interior {
    media {
                intervals 1
                samples 150, 300 // too low is fragmented
                method 3
                scattering {1, 0.3 extinction 0.1}
        }
    }
 hollow
}

light_source {
        <0,0,0>,
        color rgb 10 // I know, it's very bright to help media show up
        media_interaction on
        media_attenuation on
        fade_distance 1 // the reason for the bright light, fading used here
        fade_power 2
}

camera {location <10,10,-10> angle 30 look_at 0}