POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "include" file designs : Re: "include" file designs Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "include" file designs
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 21 Feb 2003 18:51:07
Message: <3e56bb6b@news.povray.org>
> None of the standard includes are. Dealing with such files is quite rare
> for most people, it is the exception, not the rule.

I wouldn't say that. Many of those who use external programs
like sPatch (though that one doesn't export triangles) export
to a lot of triangles once they are converted with sufficient
resolution. Heck, my "Gerberas" Image required some thousands
of triangles for the petals, the vase, the background...

Though POV's native objects are very fine to begin with, there
are a lot of abstract and less function-driven objects out there.
Thus, to model something near lifelike requires lots and lots
of triangles.

So I would say, those which like to fumble just within POV may
not necessarily need multi-megabyte files, but I'm fidding just
within POV and do so, and IMHO there seem to be a lot
(like Mick Hazelgrove or Gilles Tran) which make use of external
modellers and thus load huge meshes.

If you're just talking about plain POV-SDL, you're most
probably right (though my PartixGen requires some 250kb or
so), I doubt that hand-written POV-SDL will become larger
than at most 500kb (unless we've got some insane pure-POVer
on the loose) :-)

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde