POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon - Cornell Box : Re: Photon - Cornell Box Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon - Cornell Box
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 21 Feb 2003 08:29:41
Message: <3e5629c5$1@news.povray.org>
Doesn't look too good. I'll post the scene as a reply
to the other one, but the effects aren't really satsifying.
For one, I've tried to use the blurred-reflections-technique
(as described on my homepage), and the texture is still
in the scene, though not in use.
Problem is, the photons get reflected too directly, and
as such, we get very sharp shadows. It works for some
parts of the scene, but not quiet satisfying. It seems
photons would have a long way to go to simulate global-
illumination.

Anyway, you can have a look at the scene and toy around.
Was a neat idea, but the experiments show that the effort
is futile. It would get ridiculously slow in parsing and
memory for an amount of photons using blurred-reflections
to get the desired global-illumination-look.

Anyways, perhaps some might get more insight into this
issue of using photons...

Regards,
Tim

--