POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon - Cornell Box : Re: Photon - Cornell Box Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon - Cornell Box
From: WhiteZebra
Date: 20 Feb 2003 11:41:47
Message: <3e55054b$1@news.povray.org>
> > union {
> >   // Right wall
> >   triangle{<0.0, 54.88, 0.0>,<0.0, 54.88, 55.92>,<0.0, 0.0, 55.92>}
> >   triangle{<0.0, 54.88, 0.0>,<0.0, 0.0, 55.92>,<0.0, 0.0, 0.0>}
> >   texture {Green}
> >   split_union off
> >   photons {
> >     target 1.0
> >     refraction off
> >     reflection yes
> >     collect off
> >   }
> > }
>
>   How do you expect photons to reflect from these surfaces when they have
> no reflection?
>   Photons only work for reflecting and refracting objects.

Isn't "reflection yes" inside "photons" bloc sufficient? In any case, I just
did
another test by changeing "yes" for "on" just to make sure but still no
photons.

If you are talking about adding a reflection attribute un the finish block,
tried that but this is not what I'm looking for. This gives me reflecting
surfaces which reflect the image of the surrounding objects. Normally,
photons
should reflect on pure lambertian surfaces. Just like the "cornell.pov"
scene
that comes with POV-Ray. In other words, Photons mapping should give almost
the
same results as radiosity given the same scene.

>   (Another mistake: Since you have "collect off", which means that no
> photons are stored on the surface of this object, how do you expect it
> to receive light reflected from other surfaces?)

I've tried to set "collect on" everywhere (I just did) but still no photons.

Here is what I tried: I tried every combinations of reflection, refraction
and
collect on/off on both objects and lights, I tried high number of
max_trace_level just in case. No avail.

I eventually left "refraction off" because I don't have transparent objects
and
thus no caustics.

Could it be that photons will not reflect from triangles. That's my next
hypothese. What makes me think the triangles are in fault is that I get
black
speckles around shadows on triangle primitives but not on bloc primitives.

WhiteZebra