POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestion for postings to povray.off-topic : Re: Suggestion for postings to povray.off-topic Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion for postings to povray.off-topic
From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 17 Feb 2003 22:06:49
Message: <3e51a349$1@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> Let people vent in p.ot instead. If it bothers you, you need to
> develop a thicker skin or just ignore those threads.

Let me argue that p.o-t is not for people wanting to vent. It is a group for
the discussions of things not directly related to POV-Ray, but such
discussions are, unfortunately, becoming increasingly difficult due to
misconduct by certain individuals.

Ken Tyler may share many, if not all, views of BDW, and I am perfectly OK
with that. I may or may not share them myself, but I cannot see myself
having difficulties reading Ken's messages. It is not a matter or personal
views, it is simply a matter of conduct and mutual respect. (Ken, I do not
imply that you necessarily have any respect for me; I am merely rerferring
to the fact that nothing in your messages that I have seen so far would
suggest the opposite).

Speaking of a thicker skin... I, personally, do not think that developing a
thicker skin is a proper response to insults. In the real life I would,
probably, just leave pub/bar and just go to a good restaurant -- in a search
for a better people/atmosphere... But here, in the POV-Ray newsgroups, I
consider myself being in a cyber-restaurant already, not in a cyber-cafe
(let alone a local chat room, full of preoccupied boys).

> Post or e-mail specific
> requests to the parties involved if you want, it may help.

I consider many of you, guys, the cream of cyber-society. Such is the nature
of the POV-Ray: ultimately high-tech and artistic, while purely non-profit;
a unique combination which profoundly affects the gathering. So, in a way, I
have nowhere to go from here -- I want to stay and I, personally, refuse to
resort to private messages in an attempt to prevent interference of some
insane individual. All I am willing to do is to, at most, set up a filter.
If that does not help, if it turns out that any discussion with a subject
that a certain individual can penetrate is poised to invariably slide
towards political issues and, ultimately, insults... Well, then maybe we
should do *something* about that?