POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestion for postings to povray.off-topic : Re: Suggestion for postings to povray.off-topic Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion for postings to povray.off-topic
From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 17 Feb 2003 19:06:59
Message: <3e517923@news.povray.org>
"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote:
> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> > And I'm overwhelmed by the number
> > of insults being thrown and the
> > "low level" of argumentation
> > taking place in _some_ of these
> > threads.
>
> Then dont read those threads, p-ot is fine just the way it is

Well, Rick, although I would generally agree, there is currently some
complication about it... it is becoming less and less fine.

Some time ago, I have blocked BDW. By the way, now that I have done that, I
have probably even a better understanding of the relative number of his
posts. The thing is that when IE loads, it first shows the total number of
new messages, and only then applies blocking, iteratively reducing the
'number of new messages'. His posts to p.o-t constitute no less then 20%.
Thanks goodness, just to p.o-t (he's always off topic). So far, so good.

Of course, it's hard not to stumble upon his quotes. So when I see, say, Tom
Melly repeatedly replying to Tom Melly in a thread with, well, some
provocative subject, I do not look in there since, well, the risk is above
everage. Again, so far, so good.

But look at (one of the most recent) "too much time on the internet leads to
this" thread. It seems like now it's impossible to discuss Inet, or VR, or
just anything without BTW jumping in with his BS if he doesn't like your
sig, or formatting, or capitalization.

Any form of general censorship is not an answer, of course, but here we do
have a problem. Currently, I personally am considering setting up one more
filter which would block messages with BDW's e-mail address in their bodies
(meaning someone is just replying to BDW's crap).

In FIDO he would be "plused" and kicked off in a few days, but -- believe
me, I never liked FIDO because of that. I'm glad we have a much more open
cyber-society here... But we do have a problem, and therefore I would love
to see that *something* is done about it. Maybe just an open message from
those who run this news server. Dunno. Just *something* that would make the
atmosphere more healthy.