POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface scattering = internal radiosity? : Subsurface scattering = internal radiosity? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Subsurface scattering = internal radiosity?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 16 Feb 2003 04:29:00
Message: <3e4f59dc@news.povray.org>
When I got up tonight, I had a crazy idea for implementing subsurface
scattering.

The problem with using scattering media is that it doesn't really
"scatter" at all. If an entire object is sitting in the light, this
isn't so much a problem, but if part of that light is blocked by
something that casts a shadow, the shadow will completely cut off the
scattering where it falls.

So I was thinking, would it be possible to create a system similar to
radiosity and photons where "subsurface samples" are scattered inside an
object or along its surface and used to light the object?

I have no idea how this would be implemented in code, so if the idea is
any good, I'm hoping someone will take it and run with it...

-Xplo