POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Meaning of rgbft? : Re: Meaning of rgbft? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meaning of rgbft?
From: Micha Riser
Date: 14 Feb 2003 12:37:56
Message: <3e4d2974@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>> but what is the meaning if both are?
>
>   This is what I have wondered as well.

one way I could think of filter is that it is like a thinn, strong layer of
scattering media behind the surface.. but I have no idea if the POV
developper had this in mind or this is consitient with POV (probably not)

following the media approach I came to following:

The scattering part would be (approx.): f*(o*p)*dl
(where dl is something like the length of the media.)

The part of light shining through the media layer:
 exp(-f*p*dl) * o
which can be approximated using exp(x) = 1+x to:
 (1-f*p*dl)*o

setting dl to 1 and summing up gives:
 f*(o*p) + (1-f*p)*o

Now this shines only through as much as the transparency of the surface is,
so the whole is multiplied by t. Including the "normal" lighting this
gives:
 (1-t)*l + t*o*( f*p + (1-f*p) )

Any comments?

- Micha