POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gravels in a glass sphere : Re: Gravels in a glass sphere Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravels in a glass sphere
From: Tom Melly
Date: 14 Feb 2003 12:00:20
Message: <3e4d20a4$1@news.povray.org>
"Dirk "DIRKO" Legler" <dir### [at] dirkonet> wrote in message

> All I got to work is a "mass" from simpov which just hangs there and doesn't
> move..

I'm afraid I don't know simpov, so I can't really advise (btw you probably want
to post to unofficial.patches rather than general for questions about simpov).

However, is simpov your preffered option, or just the only currently available
one?

Trace is available within 3.5, which might do what you want - I've used it to
place mayonaisse on sandwiches, snow on trees and other objects, and to build
dry-stone walls.

If you're interested in that approach, you can take a look at the sources, and
feel free to ask for further info.

www.tomandlu.co.uk/raytracing/gallery - see winter tree, narnia and lab for this
use of trace.

The nice thing about trace - or rather the pov sdl - is that you can use trace
to detect the surface of a particular object, place your new component on that
point, and then redeclare your object to include that new component - e.g. (iirc
and in this case rather redundantly)

#declare Foo = box{0,<1,-0.1,1>}

#declare N = 0;
#while(N<100)
    #declare Foo =
    union{
        object{Foo}
        sphere{0, rand(R1)+0.25 translate<rand(R1),0,rand(R1)>
    }
    #declare N = N+1;
#end