POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : New configure script : Re: New configure script Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New configure script
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 13 Feb 2003 16:45:40
Message: <3e4c1203@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>> [Thorstens-Computer:~] thorsten% uname -p
>> powerpc
>
> I guess that's what I need. The configure file itself does
> actually contain most of the things I need concerning platform names.
> What I still cannot guess are the proper compilation flags for most
> platforms.

I guess you need a combination. Because:

- Linux ix86:
uname -m
i686
uname -p: one of
AMD Athlon(tm) XP processor 1700+
unknown

- Linux alpha:
uname -m
alpha
uname -p
unknown

- FreeBSD:
uname -p
i386
uname -m
i386

- Sun/Sparc
uname -p
sparc
uname -m
sun4u

Well... maybe you want to have a look at the config.guess of the
GNU autoconf/automake framework which does all that for you and
is designed to be portable.

It's probably a bad idea to try and re-invent the wheel.

Wolfgang