POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rand question : Re: rand question Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rand question
From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 12 Feb 2003 10:35:34
Message: <3e4a69c6$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   (On implication of this is that if you have two streams generated
> with different seed() values, they will both eventually start to give
> the same numbers as the other.)

AFAIK, preventing such behaviuor was never a desing goal of multiple RNG
streams in POV-Ray... They are there simply to protect scenes that rely on
RNG in placing/scattering objects etc.

On the other hand, the implication you point out may easily become of
importance for other scenes... IMHO one possible solution is to use the
RANDMAR generator I mentioned in my other post; it was specially designed to
provide users with ~32k independent streams.