POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparent media for volume rendering : Re: Transparent media for volume rendering Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent media for volume rendering
From: Tom Melly
Date: 12 Feb 2003 08:21:55
Message: <3e4a4a73$1@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message

> If so, it looks like there might be a bug in povray ("looks" - these things
> often turn out to have a reasonable explanation).

I don't know enough (i.e. "anything") about pov internals to know if this is the
case, but there might indeed be a reasonable explanation if your containers are
co-incident.

Basically, Pov may get confused as to whether it's inside or outside a container
(and therefore whether to render the media) when co-incident containers are
used.

As a general rule-of-thumb, it's best to avoid co-incident surfaces at all times
(they are a definite no-no if the surfaces have a visible pigment).

BTW I don't know which of your media params are necessary and which are not, but
they are *VERY* slow. Certainly for testing I would remove or adjust them for
quicker rendering time.