POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Small is NOT BEAUTIFUL : Re: Small is NOT BEAUTIFUL Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Small is NOT BEAUTIFUL
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 11 Feb 2003 14:36:08
Message: <3e4950a8@news.povray.org>
In article <3E48899F.44352FFE@computermuseum.fh-kiel.de> , Frank 'Sputnik'

> To show this, I've prepared a simple scene: a sphere with a diameter of
> 1 POV-unit, a 1x1x2 box, and a cylinder. The scenes below were rendered
> with the official windows POV-Ray versions 3.1g and 3.5. Four images,
> named MinSize_##_%%%%.jpg (##=POV-Ray version, %%%%=scale factor(s)),
> are posted to povray.binaries.images with the same header. They show
> visible geometric distortions at 1E-5, even if the 1-unit-diameter
> sphere doesn't fill the whole screen. POV-Ray 3.5 has *GREAT* problems
> with shadows even at a scale of 0.1 -- especially look at edges of the
> box, intersections of box and cylinder, the area where the sphere touches
> the box, and their shadows. Of course floating point calculations can't
> be perfect, but why is 3.1g THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than 3.5.?
> I think this is a bug that should be corrected.

I am not sure what is causing these effects, but I agree that there are no
changes that should be as visible in 3.5 compared to 3.1.  For completeness,
could you give exact version information for the two versions used, please?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.