POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Color problem with image maps : Re: Color problem with image maps Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color problem with image maps
From: Slime
Date: 7 Feb 2003 16:21:35
Message: <3e44235f$1@news.povray.org>
> Actually, it won't make a difference just as long as you use the same
> assumed_gamma when rendering each time. You could use assumed_gamma 20 if
> it's easier for you.

I take it back. While the above sentence is true, I thought about it for a
bit, and realized that if you develop with an assumed_gamma other than 1,
the fact that you're specifying colors weirdly makes things react
incorrectly in certain parts of raytracing.

For instance, a full white should appear twice as bright as a mid gray when
they're multiplied by 0.5 (for instance, when they're reflected off a
surface with a reflection value of 0.5). But if you're developing with an
assumed_gamma other than 1, which means your mid gray isn't rgb(.5,.5,.5),
the multiplication by .5 brings the white and gray down to other areas of
the 0-1 range, where they may no longer appear one twice as bright as the
other.

I'm glad I figured that out. Thanks for pointing this little fact out to me.

How frustrating! Now I realize that I should actually use gamma correction!

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]