POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Color problem with image maps : Re: Color problem with image maps Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color problem with image maps
From: Doctor John
Date: 7 Feb 2003 11:30:29
Message: <3e43df25$1@news.povray.org>
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote in message

> If I understand correctly, when I create an image with { assumed_gamma 1 }
> on my Mac (display's gamma 1.8), and someone runs the same code on their
> PC (display's gamma 2.2), they would generate a brighter image that would
> look the same on their monitor as my image looked on my monitor. This
> is good, but they may wonder why the image they generate is brighter
> than the one I created.
>
> The manual mentions that display_gamma is ignored if you don't specify
> the assumed_gamma, so I guess there would be a change if you add
> { assumed_gamma 1 } even if the default was 1? For some reason it's
> difficult for me to hold the meaning of POV-Ray's gamma settings in
> my head, so correct me if I'm confused...

IIRC, assumed_gamma 1.0 (or whatever) will only work correctly if you have
specified the _correct_ gamma of your monitor in your povray.ini (or
.povrayrc) to start with. The quick way (as we all know) is to use gamma.gif
to guesstimate it. Not perfect, but works well enough for most people.
What I'd really like to see is an extension to Display_Gamma so that we
could set r, g & b separately. (my monitor's g is slightly different to r &
b thus giving me a slight magenta cast in my images (unless I remember to
correct for it)

John

--
Run Fast