POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : running povray from another program without bringing up interface : Re: running povray from another program without bringing upinterface Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: running povray from another program without bringing upinterface
From: Tom Melly
Date: 6 Feb 2003 08:40:35
Message: <3e4265d3$1@news.povray.org>
"Mark Weyer" <wey### [at] informatikuni-freiburgde> wrote in message
news:3E4### [at] informatikuni-freiburgde...

> 1. It IS possible with the Unix version.
> 2. Povray would be rather useless (to me anyway)
>     if it were not.
> 3. I just read the license and could not find
>     what you meant.
>     It should be in USAGE PROVISIONS, right?
>
> So far I mostly used povray by call from other
> programs. I made those programs (not including
> povray) available to others. Was that wrong?
> If so, I will have to look for another raytracer.

I assume that this is the relevant part of the licence (in the "permitted
modifications" section):

<start>

All executables, documentation, modified files and descriptions of the same must
clearly identify themselves as a modified and unofficial version of POV-RayT.
Any attempt to obscure the fact that the user is running POV-RayT or to obscure
that it is an unofficial version is expressly prohibited.
POV-RayT may not be linked into other software either at compile-time using an
object code linker nor at run-time as a DLL, ActiveX, or other system. Such
linkage can tend to blur the end- user's perception of which program provides
which functions and thus qualifies as an attempt to obscure what is running.

To allow POV-RayT to communicate with outside programs, the official versions of
POV-RayT may include internal communication "hooks" for it to call other tasks,
often called an Application Programming Interface, or API. For example: the
generic part of POV-RayT provides operating system shell-out API commands. The
Windows version has a GUI-extension API and the ability to replace the text
editor. Modification to these APIs or other officially supported communication
mechanisms to increase functionality beyond that of the official version, or to
avoid the intent of this license, is EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

<end>

As far as I understand, if you haven't modified POV, and you aren't attempting
to obscure POV's role in what you are doing, then you are okay.

Of course, "obscure", is a slightly ambigous term - I would take it to mean (in
your case) that the use of POV should feature prominently in the documentation
of your apps., butwhaddaiknow?