POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity, diffuse and reflection : Re: Radiosity, diffuse and reflection Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity, diffuse and reflection
From: Slime
Date: 5 Feb 2003 10:24:29
Message: <3e412cad$1@news.povray.org>
> The amount of light diffusely reflected by an object (and therefore used
in
> radiosity calculations) is: (1-reflection) * rgb - i.e. if a surface is
0.5
> reflective, you should set the diffuse to 0.5

I don't believe this restriction is built in. (I may be wrong.) I think, if
you choose to set reflection and diffuse such that they add up to 1, you're
welcome to do so, and the amount of light calculated coming from that object
will be .5*pigment color + .5*reflected light color (if you set them both to
.5). Specular highlights are merely added to that value. Remember that there
is no upper limit to colors of light in POV-Ray, "1" is an artificial limit
that we tend to put in our scenes. (A scene with light sources emitting 100
light would be perfectly physically realistic. Of course, it would only be
viewable through a filtered lens (a sphere with color rgbf<1,1,1,.01>).)

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]