POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media emission as true light source? : Re: Media emission as true light source? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media emission as true light source?
From: Tom & Lu Melly
Date: 4 Feb 2003 15:05:09
Message: <3e401cf5@news.povray.org>
"Neil Conway" <nei### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> When you all mention limitations, I must admit I'm not clear on how they
> apply to this case.  Tom's example appears to lay the foundations of
> exactly what I'm after (albeit at great cost in CPU time).  Am I missing
> something?
>
> All I really need is to have a volumetric emission source (e.g. my plasma)
> with proper reflections from the walls etc.  Isn't that what Tom's example
> does?  (I haven't figured out Warp's example very thoroughly yet.)

I'm not really qualified to say - I'm very much a dumb-hobbyist - but I
guess it comes down to the level of accuracy you need. As a general guide to
what areas of a scene are going to receive the most indirect illumination,
it might be okay, but when other wiser heads say "limitations", I tend to
trust them.

Kari K. might be a good person to contact for some RL(tm) advice - he/she
iirc takes some interest in this area.