POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Converting Stacked-Planes to Scattering Media? : Converting Stacked-Planes to Scattering Media? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Converting Stacked-Planes to Scattering Media?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 31 Jan 2003 09:21:35
Message: <3e3a866f@news.povray.org>
Whilst working on my "Worlbowl" image I've noticed that due to
the change of perspective, the individual disc which make up the
clouds inside the bowl itself are easily identified. Since this image
will ultimately be traced in a fairly high resolution, that effect will
be even more visible then.

So I've decided to move from stacked-planes, a rather old technique,
to scattering media. I've got some relativ good experience using media
for clouds (I've very satisfied by some of the comments I got for
"Iced Land") and can find my way around modifying the brightness
and extinction and such to fit my needs.

I'm rather curious on how I might be able to convert the texture-driven
density from the stacked-planes to one I might use with my media,
as several effects (like clouds diminishing in size as reaching upwards)
could be done fairly easily with texture-mapping and color-map access.

My first guess would be to take the texture, create a density-macro off of
it, and then use gradient to move from one texture to the next. I'll try it
as a first attempt when I've got the time to do so, but I was curious if
others have tried something similiar, or got a better/other approach to
achieve what I am trying to do.

Regards,
Tim

--