POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : How to animate 4-step bend? : Re: How to animate 4-step bend? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:06:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to animate 4-step bend?
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 29 Jan 2003 20:05:59
Message: <3e387a77@news.povray.org>
Steve Shelby <ssh### [at] rexnetnet> wrote:
> I've been experimenting with Chris Colefax's object bender and have run
into
> a problem I can't figure out, with my limited experience. I need to have
> four stages to the bend:
> 1. from zero to 40,-y
> 2. back to zero
> 3. from zero to 40, +y
> 4. back to zero
> Here is what I have so far (creates the first stage):
[snipped code]
> It can't go directly from -y to +y, so it can't be done in 2 stages. I
know
> there must be a way to accomplish this using autoClk or ClockMod, but the
> bend is set up so much differently from other types of transformations
that
> I can't make sense out of any of the documentation as it would relate to
> "bend".

The bend_angle can be a negative value, so you can animate an oscillating
bend using something like this:

#declare bend_direction = -y;
#declare bend_angle = (From (0, 0) To_Using (1, 40, "Osc"));

This will bend down 40 degrees (at clock=.25) back up to 0 (at clock = .5)
up to 40 degrees (at clock = .75) and back to 0 (at clock = 1).  You can
similarly use the Oscillating clock type to apply other transformations to
the object to align it as you wish.