POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Radiosity, Lights and ambient : Re: Radiosity, Lights and ambient Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity, Lights and ambient
From: hughes, b
Date: 27 Jan 2003 04:59:09
Message: <3e3502ed@news.povray.org>
"Christoph" <chr### [at] switzerlandorg> wrote in message

> Picture: http://home.tiscalinet.ch/christoph.boos/pov/lam2.png
> File: http://home.tiscalinet.ch/christoph.boos/pov/lam2.pov
>
> Does that mean elements with a 'diffuse' in the finish emit light?

I'd say that, yes. Think of diffuse as the ability to reflect pigments, I
guess. Radiosity acts on the diffuse properties of the texture in a way so
that the color shines, similar to what you see from brightly colored objects
in sunlight when a darker room is surrounding them. More precisely, I guess
you could say it's a reflective thing, not a illumination thing, and
therefore indirect illumination.

> Just 'normal' without any parameter ?

radiosity {
RADIOSITY ITEMS
normal on
}

Sorry I didn't say that before, most such keywords use on/off (boolean)
although not all need it. I believe this one needs it. However, now having
looked at your scene file, I didn't find any normals in the textures.
 :-)

If I were better with radiosity myself I could be of more help. I can at
least suggest you might try recursion_limit 2 or 3, not just the 1 you have
in it now. And maybe max_samples could be of some use too,

I got a decent render by lowering diffuse to 0.7 and with the setup below, I
just am not sure what it should look like exactly. Only that your rendering
had a oversaturation.

global_settings {
 assumed_gamma 1
 ambient_light 0