POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object : Re: Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object
From: James Patterson
Date: 26 Jan 2003 23:38:06
Message: <3e34b7ae$1@news.povray.org>
news:3e340d1e@news.povray.org...
>   This is how it has to be done. I hope James gets it working. Using an
> isosurface is like killing flies with a cannon. :)

AMEN!!

If you take the HF_Sphere macro and output the mesh to a new include file
then you save
all kinds of rendering time by simply reusing the original output file.
(This could end up saving me hours of animation time later on) I did find
howerver, that once you have optomized the isosurface code, it parses and
renders much faster (the first time anyway) than a comparable
quality HS_Sphere.  In fact for a single frame render, I prefer the
isosurface.  However, since I will be using this in a future animation, the
HF_Sphere is the best solution.   Special thanks to Warp, Christoph Hormann,
and epically hughes, b for sticking to the problem until you found a
solution in spite of my last post.  It is always good to have more than one
way to solve a problem.