POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object : Re: Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 26 Jan 2003 05:17:32
Message: <3e33b5bc@news.povray.org>
> I have been able to locate one showing the elevations above sea level but
> one including the portion under the oceans would be great, then I could have
> my students experiment with modeling changes in ocean levels as well.

Can't comply. Only got the "above sealevel" version as well. :-(

> Your telling me!  Currently, I am simply trying to simulate cloud formation
> and motions due to the coriolis force and global insolation (the amount of
> sun light striking the earth at any given time.)  The clouds start out as
> simple textures applied to various spheres representing different levels of
> the earths atmosphere.  I believe I have a relatively accurate
> representation of cloud motion, however, at the tropics I have way to many
> clouds.  Eventually, I would like to have some interaction between the
> atmosphere and the ocean as well as the land once I get this Height field
> issue figured out. I would like my students to aim for a realistic as
> possible simulation which is why I'm trying to do this on my own first so I
> can help them through the tough parts.  Keep in mind I am trying to do all
> of this from within POV-Ray which may be an unrealistic goal on my part.

This does sound interesting! I don't think its unrealistic, after all, POV can
calculate almost everything, though it can get very slow. I'm also one of those
geeks who tries to stay in POV-Code all the time! :-)
Your idea sounds pretty neat, have you thought about making it possible for
other planets? I mean, does the system load maps of some sort, or does it just
take two poles and a sun-heading into account... If it does reply to a heightfield-
like sphere, it might be interesting to fumble with other planets...
You're sparking me some ideas man! :-)

Regards,
Tim

PS: If you need help for your code, you know that the newsgroups are the
best POV has to offer online!

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde