POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object : Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Wrapping A Hieght Field Object Around an elipsoid object
From: James Patterson
Date: 25 Jan 2003 17:38:12
Message: <3e3311d4@news.povray.org>
I am a high school computer teacher and am interested in using pov-ray with
my students to model the planet earth.  I have been successful in creating a
cut-away view of the earth and have created an animation showing the earth
rotating into the night complete with the appearance of city lights. I am
also working on a global weather simulation which has a long way to go.  My
question is about the possibility of wrapping a height field of the earths
surface topography onto a spherical shape.  I would like my students to be
able to experiment with issues like the difference between global elevations
as they really are compared to pictures and illustrations which exaggerate
the vertical scale. Is there a way to do this?