POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : (not) a feature request : Re: (not) a feature request Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (not) a feature request
From: Slime
Date: 23 Jan 2003 18:09:37
Message: <3e307631$1@news.povray.org>
> P.S. I also think no_image objects should still affect radiosity. Again a
> no_radiosity flag would leave the decision to the user. Endless
> possibilities...

The problem with all of these no_something flags is that they're not
backwards compatible. For instance, right now, objects have:

no_shadow
no_image
no_reflection

And some people want to add a no_radiosity flag to that, to sort of split up
the functionality of "no_image" into "no_image" and "no_radiosity". But
let's say that feature were added in version 4.0. That would mean that an
object with no_image would affect radiosity in version 4.0, but *not* affect
it in version 3.5. Now, this could be switched with the version directive,
but as more and more of these keywords were added, things could get
confusing, and it would be very difficult to update old scenes to work in
new versions.

I hope POV-Ray 4.0 addresses this with some sort of more advanced syntax.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]