POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : photons & reflection : Re: photons & reflection Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photons & reflection
From: Tom Melly
Date: 23 Jan 2003 12:08:04
Message: <3e302174@news.povray.org>
"Johannes Dahlstrom" <sad### [at] tkukoulufi> wrote in message

> If media photons are turned on in global media settings, they're also
> turned on by default in all object medias in the scene.  The reason that
> photons work only with contained medias is probably that in an infinite
> media, a potentially infinite number of photons would have to be calculated
> and stored. The docs don't seem to mention this anywhere, though.

Makes sense - so stelz., the critical thing is to put the media in a container
(you don't need to make the container a target - that was a red-herring*)

* I wrapped the media in a container *so* that I could add target, and assumed,
when the beam showed up, that the target attrib. was wot did it, rather than the
fact of the container.