POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV on AMD 64bit CPU : Re: POV on AMD 64bit CPU Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV on AMD 64bit CPU
From: Theo Gottwald *
Date: 22 Jan 2003 12:55:31
Message: <3e2edb13@news.povray.org>
I am already waiting for "my A64". :-)

If we take a look on the Processor-Architecture wqe got from Intel the last
years,
we find out that it was often "marketing - oriented".

Instead of putting more power into the "already in use"_FPU they made a new
one
called it MMX,SSE,SSE-2 - clearly in mind that they need this marketing
trick
to get exclusivity leaving the customers "with the old chips" behind.

At the same time, they changed from "Slot to Socket" and back and again,
changed the design of chipsets, and Power-supply and mainbord-formfactor,
 just to force people to go the hard way for an upgrade and buy "everything
new".

While AMD keeps on his Socket/Slot as long as possible to enable people to
go
the "easy way" for an upgrade.

Thats for me an argument to look two times before buying Intel-CPU,
so long I can get a hammer from an "honest company".

Technically the PIV we must say that the actual PIV is not the chip to
compete
with the AMD-64.

Intel will also bring something new (bigger cache ?) that time, so we should
not make
finaly technical  conclusions now.

--Theo

---------------------------------Distributed Network-Rendering or Local
SMP-Rendering on all CPU's you have.
With SMPOV und POV-Ray 3.5. * Download free at:
http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm