POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh-Modifying-Macros released... : Re: Mesh-Modifying-Macros released... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh-Modifying-Macros released...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 15 Jan 2003 11:37:10
Message: <3e258e36$1@news.povray.org>
> One very small problem is that your macros write out unneeded duplicate
> vertices for cylinder and torus shaped meshes. Not a big deal, but it adds
> just a small amount to the parse time.

That's a side-effect I can't easily handle. If that information had to be
inserted somewhere into the array, it wouldn't be as easy of use as it is.
IMHO
its a minor drawback, but I was thinking about implementing some macro which
will just join a side (for a cylinder, for example), so that one does not
need to
have the vertices twice.
And, as mentioned somewhere in the docs, the idea was to have something very
easy to visualize without a graphic interface, and at some point I want to
implement
UV-Mapping. It's easier to imagine if you've got your rectangular grid and
work
with that, at least for me.

> Very cool stuff. The docs are quite nice. My suggestions for a future
> release would be optimized quad splitting and a few examples of array
> creation for those who might not immediately grasp the concept.

Thanks.
I understood the part of "grasping the concept", but that quad-splitting...
I've
implemented it so that the shorter cross-section will be used for the
triangulation,
instead of an always lowerleft-upperright (or reverse) splitting. What's
wrong
with that?

--
Tim Nikias