POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestion for next release : Re: Suggestion for next release Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion for next release
From: hughes, b
Date: 14 Jan 2003 22:34:44
Message: <3e24d6d4@news.povray.org>
news:3E24CA7E.5CFC5811@pacbell.net...

> all  that time  not a single  person has expressed  dissatisfaction  with
the
> behavior you described.

I do hide my taskbar. I set it that way every time I've installed Windows.
In doing so I've forgotten I had a render paused after needing to get
another task done which POV-Ray can seriously slow down, esp. if on High
Render Priority. Even with all the patience necessary for raytracing,
dropping behind only 10 minutes can seem to be long a delay in getting a
rendering done.

I almost suspended my computer (Sleep) a few months ago when I had POV
minimized and hidden away and I still remember that because I'd have lost
the time it was meant to be working on a render. If only I applied more
effort to setting renders going a lot more in the first place maybe that
wouldn't have made me paranoid about forgetting one.

Anyway, the blinking Pause button and taskbar box hasn't caused me to think
it should be possible to switch it off. And I think you can get my point
here about why it would be even worse, for me at least, to mistakenly let it
pause forever or suspend the computer accidentally. Even so, I can imagine
this suggestion might be a little worthwhile if the "off" condition meant
the window and taskbar box changed to a obvious yet non-blinking color;
better yet a pattern, since color settings of Windows could potentially be
the same as the alerting one, but then a pattern probably isn't feasible.
Not sure about that.

Easy to understand though why most people probably like that POV-Ray blinks
a signal to them if they have done thing like me.