POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : New possibilities with MegaPOV 1.0 & Multi-CPU Rendering ? : New possibilities with MegaPOV 1.0 & Multi-CPU Rendering ? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:30:37 EDT (-0400)
  New possibilities with MegaPOV 1.0 & Multi-CPU Rendering ?
From: Theo Gottwald *
Date: 14 Jan 2003 05:42:56
Message: <3e23e9b0$1@news.povray.org>
I've just done the Mega-Pov-Installation.

Now I am just reading the MegaPOV-Turtorial trying to find out
about the new possibilities about "SMP-rendering".

>> In POV-RayT 3.5 and earlier temporary files with cache of radiosity were
named the same for every frame in the animation rendering. Since MegaPOV 1.0
the name of this file is concatenated from the name of the currently
rendered image. Together with Frame_Step (see Section 2.1.1) and this
addition it is finally possible to start two parallel processes with
radiosity rendering over one source.

So far I understand, I can render on one machine frames 1,3,5 ...
and the second machine would render at the same time frames 2,4,6 ...

Still what is not yet clear to me:

Is there anything new about rendering ONE picture in many instances without
getting "radiosity-stripes" after putting the tiles together ?

>> "... to start two parallel processes with radiosity rendering over one
source"

Or does the above sentence simply say "you can now start the same POV-Ray
two times
for rendering animations however NOT on the same picture." ?

--Theo

PS: I like those mechsim's :-).
---------------------------------Distributed Network-Rendering or Local
SMP-Rendering on all CPU's you have.
With SMPOV und POV-Ray 3.5. * Download free at:
http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm