POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shell-out to Operating System Problem : Re: Shell-out to Operating System Problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shell-out to Operating System Problem
From: hughes, b
Date: 8 Jan 2003 06:00:09
Message: <3e1c04b9$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen McAvoy" <mca### [at] aolcomcom> wrote in message
> Again thanks,
> But still nothing. I used this line in the ini file:
>
> Pre_Frame_Command=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe /c
> C:\Utils\QB45\Waves\W003.exe
>
> There is no indication that Povray is trying to do anything before
> parsing the scene.

All I can say is that it works okay here, using for example:

Pre_Frame_Command=cmd.exe /c notepad.exe

And my cmd.exe is in the same place as yours, which I would have expected. I
also gave a DOS program a try and it passed the test. Just to explain what
you should see happen there, when the Run button is pressed (or Alt+G keys)
the DOS Prompt opens and immediately runs your program then closes if it is
finished or remains open awaiting your response. The parsing then continues
and renders the scene.

The fact you see no error message or anything is puzzling. Maybe you can try
to catch what's going on with the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete),
Applications. I use mine with Options set to keep it above everything else
so I can always see it.