POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HRI - Mirrored ball camera effect : Re: HRI - Mirrored ball camera effect Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HRI - Mirrored ball camera effect
From: hughes, b
Date: 7 Jan 2003 16:31:42
Message: <3e1b473e@news.povray.org>
"Jim" <jul### [at] preferredcom> wrote in message

>    To learn more, go to Paul Debevec's site. He has HDRShop online for
> download.
>    Spend a couple of days studying the site and the material, work with
> HDRShop and you'll have a better idea of what you need and what options
are
> open to you.

Thanks for that info. And here is that URL for anyone else who might be
interested.
http://www.debevec.org/

>    My question? Does MLPOV give us access to all the features of HDRI
> and HDRShop? Reflections, environmental lighting, motion blur, full
> HDRI file format compatibility?

I had those same questions. Judging by the HTML Help it looks like only
'ambient' governs the outcome so perhaps that means just a tie-in with
luminance. Just now got MLPov 0.82 and I've been skipping over the talk in
p.u.p. so it's completely  new to me.

> HDRShop can consruct a light probe using a photo-cross. The cross-shape
> defines the shape of a cube when opened and flattened. If you develop the
> math, you can transform an image mapped on a cube to a sphere and back.
> This is true for
> any regular polyhedron (3d polygon).
>    As the number of sides of a polygon increases, the figure approximates
> a circle. A dodecagon more closely resembles a circle than a square.

Yes, I understand the principle. Well, considering Geometry was my worst
subject in school it's a wonder I can do anything in POV-Ray sometimes.