POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sampling in pov3.5 : Re: Sampling in pov3.5 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampling in pov3.5
From: Mael
Date: 6 Jan 2003 09:08:40
Message: <3e198de8$1@news.povray.org>
I was thinking about computing the discrepancy (for different numbers of
samples), to see what are the best values for count with the current samples
data in pov
I found a description to compute the star discrepancy, but only for uniform
distribution in a unit square
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StarDiscrepancy.html
http://ina.eivd.ch/Collaborateurs/etr/research.html

As i don't know how to adapt it for a disc, I decided to map the disc to a
square
(x,y) the sample in the disc gives nx=x*x+y*y and ny=atan2(y,x)/(2*pi)+.5 in
the square unit

But when applying this transformation to povray samples I get those bad
looking results (at least for small N)
http://195.221.122.126/samples/rad_square010.jpg
http://195.221.122.126/samples/rad_square020.jpg
http://195.221.122.126/samples/rad_square050.jpg
http://195.221.122.126/samples/rad_square100.jpg

So I wonder if it's a good way to measure the discrepancy
Or is the povray distribution not that good ?