POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sampling in pov3.5 : Re: Sampling in pov3.5 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:09:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampling in pov3.5
From: Mael
Date: 6 Jan 2003 08:07:38
Message: <3e197f9a$1@news.povray.org>
> The third image shows the result when using a completely uniform
> distribution and weighting the samples according to cosine theta.  The
> result seems worse although a final conclusion would require further
> tests.  The interesting thing is that turning off the different weighting
> strongly weakens the artefacts (fourth image).

there is an error in the comment in povray source code, the samples are
distributed according to cos(theta)*sin(theta) (we can also confirm this by
looking at the illuminance integral)
I've made a graph with the distribution for the pov samples (compared to cos
and cos*sin) at http://195.221.122.126/samples/proba.jpg