POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie texture syntax problems : Newbie texture syntax problems Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Newbie texture syntax problems
From: ZSpider
Date: 5 Jan 2003 09:08:08
Message: <3e183c48@news.povray.org>
Good morning,

Newbie here.  I've been going through an old pov script for the Enterprise
and updating the code so it works in 3.5.  Mostly what I have been doing
is tacking semicolons on declare statements and adding the pigment keyword
to textures to make the color fly right.  But now I've run into something
that
I can't get to work.  Here is the code:

#declare Line = texture
   { gradient <0 0 1>
     color_map
      { [0      0.0005 color Gridgray color Gridgray]
        [0.0005 1      color Clear    color Clear   ]
      }
      scale <1 1 25>
   }
#declare Saucer_top_texture = texture
   { Line
     color_map
       { [0      0.0005 color Gridgray color Gridgray]
         [0.0005 1      color Hullcol  color Hullcol ]
       }
     specular layer_specular
   }

I've messed with it and can't get it right.  The first thing I did was
enclose
the gradiant and color map in the Line texture inside a set of pigment
braces,
like this:

#declare Line = texture
   { pigment
       { gradient <0 0 1>
         color_map
           { [0      0.0005 color Gridgray color Gridgray]
             [0.0005 1      color Clear    color Clear   ]
           }
       }
     scale <1 1 25>
   }

That allowed that statement to work, but it hung on the next one.  Looking
at the old 3.1g documentation, I believe that the second statement is merely
a layered texture.  And reading 2.7.10.1 Declaring Layered Textures gave
me the impression that leaving off the texture wrapper in the second state-
ment was my problem.  I've been fooling with it for an hour now and I can't
get it to run.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Miker