POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sampling in pov3.5 : Re: Sampling in pov3.5 Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:03:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampling in pov3.5
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 2 Jan 2003 22:36:11
Message: <3e15052b$1@news.povray.org>
"Apache" <apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote...
> 1.
> Should the focal blur distribution be divided in a circular area instead
of
> a rectangular one?
>
> 2.
> I like the radiosity distribution, but maybe it would be nice to have some
> more samples than 1600. What about 32768 samples? If it's just a matter of
> precomputing the distribution, why not?

Does that really look like your every-day probability distribution funciton
to you?  To me it looks like the points are much more evenly spaced than any
distribution funciton I've ever seen.  Notice how at samples=50, the samples
are in almost perfect rings, almost like a geodesic dome.  The points are
also considerably more evenly spaced than in the Halton sequence, which
itself is intended to be low-discrepancy.

Also, as far as I know, we don't have the source code that generated the
existing 1600 samples.  The file "rad_data.cpp" containing the data is
credited to Jim McElhiney.

-Nathan