POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion : Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 2 Jan 2003 11:52:21
Message: <3e146e45@news.povray.org>
I was actually going to back out from this discussion. There were some
"nerves" involved, and I don't wish to blame anyone, and I won't argue about
what caused it. I hope we can put it aside. Lets just sum up what we've got
so far:

We talked about 3 methods. They all seem to perform well in terms of the
visual result. The speed is different, and while it may be true, that the
best way depends on the scene, it seems valid to say that Ron Parkers method
(the averaged normals) is slow when rays go ping-pong between surfaces.
Currently I'm not aware of any way around that limitation.

The 2 other methods are simpler to use: Either MegaPOV0.7's patch, or my
method (I think it was inspired by Jaime Viwes Piquires). This method I'm
using however demands the whole scene to be rendered with high-quality
anti-alias. In some cases (perhaps many cases?) this will be slower than the
MegaPOV0.7 patch.

Ceggi tested my scene with MegaPOV0.7 and it's a clear winner in terms of
speed. Apparently it doesn't have the handicap of being slower than a snail
in cases of ping-pong, and it doesn't need anti-alias to work.

I'm not aware of instabilities with the MegaPOV patch, please let me know if
there are any.. While the patch may not seem the best answer to all scenes,
and certainly less flexible, I think it would be alright to include it with
upcoming MegaPOV versions; Chris says it won't be a big deal to technically
include.

I'm not to decide, I just lay out the facts as I currently see them, based
on my tests with real scenes, where it behaves different than scenes with
spheres on a plane... I have not followed every discussion around here about
the blurring though.. I don't claim to know all facts.

If there's anything you'd like to add or correct, I'll be listetning. Thanks
for all you peoples work so far regarding POV.

Regards,
Hugo