POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion : Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 1 Jan 2003 19:52:10
Message: <3e138d3a$1@news.povray.org>
> It probably depends on the scene.
> In some scenes the grainy approach
> is best, while in others the smooth one.

Yes, and now I've got proof in my hand. I've setup a simple scene (I will
post the source in p.b.s-f) and tried my own "one normal with HQ- AA" method
versus the common method you are suggesting "many normals averaged" and the
results speak loud. When there are more than one reflective object and the
rays go ping-pong, my method is best:

1 normal and HQ AA:  2 minutes, 34 seconds.
32 averaged normals, without AA: 13 minutes, 0 seconds.

The results look pretty much the same, except I got my AA and ... your
method was measured without AA.. But when the scene doesn't have objects
where the rays go ping-pong, your method are more than twice as fast as
mine.

Regards,
Hugo