POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion : Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:52:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 1 Jan 2003 13:44:44
Message: <3e13371c@news.povray.org>
> the average texture method simulates microfacets
> too, it just keeps the supersampling
> to the blurry surface.

I was thinking about averaging normals scaled very BIG, and that looks
horrible. It even seems slower than my method unless I use .. only 10
normals, and that looks plain wrong. But I see your point, and will try to
average just a few normals, scaled very small.

Some speed optimations could be done with radiosity and reflections. The
"bolts and plugs" picture I just posted, was rendered in 2 passes: First
radiosity without AA, without area_light, and with a low max_trace_level..
Second pass loads the radiosity data, and has the above mentioned features
activated. The result looks just as good, and only takes 1/4 of the render
time. But the 2-pass method is cumbersome, at least for animations.

Regards,
Hugo