POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : textures on a curve : Re: textures on a curve Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: textures on a curve
From: Warp
Date: 31 Dec 2002 14:49:38
Message: <3e11f4d2@news.povray.org>
Marc Cuypers <mc-### [at] pandorabe> wrote:
> What I need is text flowing on a plane or curve.

  I'm still a bit confused whether you want real 3D letter objects
(as produced by the 'text' primitive) or if it's enough to bet a pigment
with your text, which is then transformed so that it follows a curve.
(Often the latter case is what one needs because real 3D letter objects
seldom have a real use, except for special effects.)

  If you want your 3D letter objects to follow some curved path, you'll
have to create individual letters and rotate/translate them so that they
follow the path. However, this will not deform the individual letters.
  There's no easy way in POV-Ray to get deformed 3D letter objects. You'll
probably need an external tool which generates eg. triangle meshes for
this.

  If it's enough to get a pigment with your letters, then you can use
the 'text' object to create an object pattern, use this pattern to create
a pattern function and then use for example a spline function to deform
this pattern function. It is possible in POV-Ray 3.5 to deform a pattern
function according to a spline, even though I don't remember the specifics.
  You can then use this deformed pattern function as a pattern to create
the pigment (or texture, or whatever).
  It's not trivial, but it can be done.