POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Typos in the documentation : Re: Typos in the documentation Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Typos in the documentation
From: Jellby
Date: 31 Dec 2002 09:12:26
Message: <3e11a5ca@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>> - In section 6.10.1 it says phonton mapping uses "backwards
>> ray-tracing"... is this right? I thought it used foreward raytracing.
>
>   It's "photon" and "forward" ;)

Damn! I'm not perfect either :D
"phonton" was a typo, "foreward" was my own stupidity.

>   AFAIK _technically_ the correct term for photon mapping is "forward
> raytracing".
>
> [snip]
>
>   However, some authors have mixed up these concepts, AFAIK erroneusly.
> They consider "regular raytracing" to be "forward" and the other one
> "backward", as it's reversed compared to the "regular way".

Whatever it is, the fact is in section 2.2 it says POV-Ray uses backwards
raytracing, and then in section 6.10.1 photon mapping uses it too.
Something's not right here. ;)

--

Linux User #289967 (counter.li.org)
PGP Pub Key ID: 0x01A95F99 (pgp.escomplinux.org)